Determining Your Hat Size
Measuring your head:
- Take a soft-coated tape measure or a piece of string and place it around your head where you would like the sweatband of the hat to rest on your head. *Usually, that is just above the center of your forehead and on the upslope of the "lump" in the back, above the tops of your ears on both sides.
- With the tape snug, read the measurement to the closest centimeter. If you have used string, carefully flatten the string out against a yardstick to read the measurement.
- If you are in-between sizes, consider if you prefer your hat to fit more snugly or loosely and how you will wear your hair. Hats should fit loosely enough as to not give you a headache, but snug enough so as to fit firmly in position on your head.
- Compare your measurement to the size chart below.
|56||6 7/8||22 1/8"|
|58||7 1/8||22 7/8"|
|59||7 1/4||23 1/4"|
|60||7 3/8||23 5/8"|
Adjustable cotton sweatbands: most of our hats come with an adjustable sweatband, allowing you to reduce the size of your hat by 1-2 cm.
Terry cloth sweatbands: Our Sconset and Wauwinet hats come with our terry-cloth sweatbands and are not adjustable, but forgiving in their sizing, and can always be tightened with a few and sewn stitches in the band.
Cleaning mold/mildew off your well-loved straw hat:
The best way to clean mold or mildew off a straw hat is to vacuum it off with a brush attachment.
If that does not remove the mold/mildew:
- Dilute 1/8 cup bleach or Tilex in 2 cups of water
- Soak a sponge in the solution and wring it out until it is barely damp
- Gently pat the sponge on the areas of mold/mildew and it should disappear
Caution: Excess solution applied to mold on a hat will discolor the straw.
Storage: Hats that come with a Peter Beaton signature hat box should be stored inside the box with the included cone in order to preserve the integrity of its shape.
Our grosgrain ribbons are of the highest quality and will last you many years. If your bow begins to look tired, or you have just received a new ribbon that has visible fold marks on it from the packaging follow these instructions:
1. Carefully unpin the ribbon from the hat and untie the bow
2. Use a warm iron to smooth out the creases
3. If the ends are frayed, using a sharp pair of scissors: fold the ribbon in half and cut just above the frayed ends in a downward "V"
|General Size||US Clothing Size||Chest/Bust Measurement||Waist Measurement||Hips|